Academy Tools- Low Cost Frame Fixture (LCFF)
25th March. We have sold out of this batch of fixtures. The next batch is in production now. For orders placed now we anticipate a 4 week lead time.
Academy Tools Low Cost Frame Fixture
Our award winning* and revolutionary low cost bicycle frame building jig solution for frame builders everywhere!
The Academy Tools LCFF achieves both affordability and accuracy, and a whole lot more, thanks to clever design.
Our proprietary User Calibratable Fixture Alignment System gives you the functionality you need to check and control the alignment of your frame fixture, independently at every interface, every time. The system has been improved and updated for version 1.5.
We’ve removed the risk of ever building frames on a jig that is unknowingly out of alignment, and opened up some really exciting possibilities such as reduced manufacturing and production cost, flat-pack design, reduced shipping footprint & cost, user assembly & calibration and a huge and expandable build range. As a result the LCFF is the only fully functional low cost frame building fixture in existence.
There's nothing that comes close to the LCFF, and certainly not when you consider the price.
The Frame Fixture kit is supplied as a shoe-box-sized crate of parts. You add a few, easily sourced, parts and have a fully functioning fixture. Uniquely and importantly the alignment of the LCFF can be user calibrated, all thanks to the Academy Tools Laser Calibration Kit (included).
Accurate repeatable set-up in under 3 minutes thanks to fully integrated bespoke measurement system, that utilises no more than a steel rule and angle finder. Fully independent HT and RA adjustment with X&Y datum taken from BB axis. Set-up straight from BikeCAD.
Versatile over a full range of wheel sizes from Balance Bikes to 29+ wheel sizes if utilising the standard beam lengths. Range can be significantly increased with the use of longer steel beams.
- All plate and turned parts
- All fixings
- Laser alignment tool set
- 1"1/8 and 44mm head tube adaptors
- 68mm & 73mm bottom bracket adaptors
- 1m steel ruler with 1mm scale
- Digital angle gauge, +/- 0.1 degree accuracy
- Fixture accessory tidy
- Benchtop feet (pair)
- Full ‘step-by-step’ illustrated assembly and user instructions
- All delivered in a purpose made wooden crate
- Dummy axles all sizes available, you need one to use the fixture.
- Additional HT adapters (all standards available)
- Additional BB adapters (all standards, up to 100mm width, available)
- Gas purge kit
- Three-caster stand
Additional parts required
A dummy axle is required to use the fixture.
They are available here.
The additional items needed to build your LCFF can easily be bought locally, making the cost of shipping significantly cheaper. We’ve designed the LCFF to work with either metric or Imperial standard mild steel hollow section so that regardless of where you are based you will be able to easily source the bits you need to build your fixture. Should you wish to extend the reach of your fixture you can simply buy longer beams. Recommend dimensions are as follows:
The LCFF is designed to use globally available mild steel hollow section beams, of a range of sizes, manufactured to BS EN 10219 or ASTM A500. These beams are commonly referred to as Rectangular Hollow Section (RHS) and Square Hollow Section (SHS).
- 1730mm length of RHS rectangular hollow section (RHS) mild steel, either 100 x 50 x 3mm or 4” x 2” x ⅛”
- 930mm length of square hollow section (SHS) mild steel, either 40 x 40 x 3mm or 1 ½” x 1 ½” x ⅛”
- 750mm length of square hollow section (SHS) mild steel, either 40 x 40 x 3mm or 1 ½” x 1 ½” x ⅛”
- 350mm length of square hollow section (SHS) mild steel, either 40 x 40 x 3mm or 1 ½” x 1 ½” x ⅛”
If these are not available sections within the following ranges may be used:
Square - 38.1mm (1.5”) to 40mm
Rectangular - 100mm to 101.6 (4”) x 50.8mm (2”). Beams with a depth between 50.8mm and 60mm thick may be used, however only 50.8mm (2") will be compatible with the 3 caster stand.
Wall Thickness - 3mm (0.125”) (recommended)
[Please note: we only supply the pre-drilled beams needed for the LCFF in the event that you are able to collect your fixture from TBA. This will be priced at an additional cost of £150. To order this option please complete your LCFF kit order, then email us to request your beams. We will send you an updated invoice and charge accordingly.]
Mild steel hollow section beams are inherently not straight. Each length of beam will have a degree of bend and twist, within defined limits, which is a natural variation resulting from the beam manufacturing process. The Fixture Alignment System has been designed to accommodate these variations throughout the range of adjustment available.
Tools required for assembly
- 13mm, 15mm and 17mm spanners
- 2.5mm, 4mm and 6mm hex keys
- A power drill with 8.5mm and 10.5mm drill bits
1 years Limited Warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.
See our Shipping and Fulfilment page for details.
* Winner of the 'Innovation Award' The UK Handmade Bicycle Show, Bespoked, 2017